Abbey of Clervaux

assel-admin

13 February 2019

No Comments

The Saint-Maurice Abbey is located in the north of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, above the town of Clervaux. It was built according to a plan testifying to the wisdom of the ancient builders. All buildings date back to the 20th century. The majority of the abbey was built in 1909-1910, in a neo-Romanesque style, according to the plans of the architect J. Klomp, a Dutchman, who worked mainly in Germany. The stone, a beautiful shale with warm hues, was extracted on site, which helps to integrate the buildings in the countryside, while the roofs were created with red tiles. The octagonal tower was inspired by the tower called Holy Water, the only remaining tower of the former Abbey of Cluny.